Home' Smart Farmer : August 2014 Contents Smart horticulture
All in the handiwork
for pruning champs
SPEED alone was not enough to
secure you a prize at this year's
SA Pruning Championships.
Good technique was key in deter-
mining the prizewinners.
The Wolf Blass shield for
the winner of the Vine Pruning
Championship of SA for 2014 went
to Jeremy O'Donald, J&J Vineyard,
McLaren Vale, who took out the best
aggregate score across the two open
The event attracted a record
number of competitors with more
entrants in the open sections than in
Individuals from McLaren Vale,
the Barossa and Great Western and
the Pyrenees in Vic joined the Clare
Valley's finest to battle it out in
individual and team events.
A women's event was run for the
first time, attracting more than 10
participants, representing vineyards
and contractors from across the
Competition organiser Malcolm
Parish said electric snips were very
popular in the women's section and
it was the first time the judges had
awarded higher points for electric
snips than hand snips.
"Well done to the McLaren Vale
fellow who came up with a strategy
this year to knock off our local reign-
ing champion," Mr Parish said.
Electrocoup Individual Spur
1. Thi Kim Oanh Tran (Tran), Kilikanoon Wines, Clare Valley
2. Jeremy O'Donald, J&J Vineyard, McLaren Vale
3. Leigh Victor, Kilikanoon Wines
Gawler Farm Machinery Individual Rod and Spur
1. Ryan Longmire, Ackland Vineyard Services, Clare Valley
2. Sounsaveng Euoangmala (Soun), Ackland Vineyard Services
3. Brett Smith, Bastians Block, Clare Valley
Kilikanoon Ladies Individual Spur
1. Piyporn Onchai (Pim), Kilikanoon Wines
2. Boreyroth Thul (Ros), Ackland Vineyard Services
3. Thi Kim Oanh Tran (Tran), Kilikanoon Wines
Taylors Team Speed Spur
1. Seppelts Snippers (Malcolm Boatman, Jeff Elliott, Patrick Hall), Great Western, Vic
2. Mix Ups (Paul Steele, Boreyroth Thul, Jeremy O'Donald)
3. Outsiders (Dean Willoughby, Karl Schiller, Steve Schiller), Barossa Valley
The Wolf Blass shield for the Vine
Pruning Champion of SA went to
Jeremy O'Donald, J&J Vineyard,
Piyaporn Onchai, Kilikanoon.
Ryset technical sales manager
Vignesh Prathil with Leon Schramm,
Churinga vineyard, Penwortham.
Linda Burton, Ackland Vineyard
Leon Atsalis, Eclipse Enterprises.
Winners of the
Hall, Jeff Elliott
Judge Graham Pulford with Rodger
Troy Van Dulken, Kilikanoon, with
Bahco sales manager Glen Joseph.
and Phil Holmes
Links Archive September 2014 July 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page